Thursday Session1 : Collaborative Life Cycle Assessment tool for Circular Economy Networks
MSc. Marja Myllysilta, Dr. Sami Majaniemi
This session presents the Network Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) tool and shows, how it can be utilized in practice in the transition towards collaboration in networked business planning and impact assessment. The Network LCA tool enables planners and interested participants of circular economy networks to coordinate their actions and assess their footprints both individually and collectively as regards different environmental indicators (CO2, energy, water, toxic materials etc.). In this session, we will demonstrate the Network LCA cloud service for footprint computation related to electric vehicle batteries. For example, owing to the integrated life cycle cost and other features, it is possible to find answers to questions like “how can the network keep its materials flows at the highest possible re-use value throughout a product’s life cycle”, or “what is the network level effect, if my firm uses material A instead of B in the production process”. The participants can test the service in practice.
Assessment Method related Goals
We aim at promoting the participation of expert groups as interpreters of assessment results and translators of industrial data into a usable form for LCA analysis by
- setting up a base model relevant for the battery production and the electric vehicle economy
- showing how materials data and LCA results can be further refined and used in economic viability estimates on a higher level systemic analysis of the electric vehicle economy in Friday’s exercise .
Application area: electric vehicle battery production, usage and recycling/re-manufacturing
- The participants will learn about LCA tools and aware of essential parameters when planning and testing circular economy activities (production, products, re-cycling etc.).
- The participants will learn the value of quality data and metadata as well as the value of shared, privacy respecting information sharing.
Detailed workshop contents
- Explaining the general idea of the exercises and how the information will be utilized on Friday, explanation of the benefits of network LCA in general
- Short introduction to LCA modeling in the particular use case
- Walking the audience through the ready-made LCA model using Sulca LCA software
- Demostration of data collection uploading into the ready-made LCA frame.
- Validation of the inputs (unit matching, ontology matching etc.).
- Demonstration: Network level optimization of footprints and participant level optimization of footprints. Tutors will help participants to play around with input parameters and explain how the results can be compared with each other.
- Collective validation of the model, discussion and collection of critique and further development ideas from the expert audience as regards data acquisition, incentives for sharing, value of the results to industry
Back to the Workshop page…
Back to Programme page…